Social Work Success Stories
All recent Department of Social Work bachelor’s degree recipients are employed (70 percent) or in graduate school (30 percent) within one year of graduation. Several continue their studies at Gallaudet, which offers an M.S.W. program that prepares students for leadership in organizations serving deaf and hard of hearing people.
All recent graduate-level alumni of the department are either employed (78 percent) or pursuing further education (22 percent).
Internships in Community Services
Community services is projected to be among the top five job categories requiring postsecondary education, according to the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. Programs in the Department of Social Work position students for career success through a strong network of internship sites in this field.
Recent internship sites for Gallaudet students include:
- Court Services and Offenders’ Supervision Agency– Washington, D.C.
- Deaf Abused Women’s Network (DAWN)–Washington, D.C.
- Deaf Addiction Services–Baltimore, Md.
- Deaf Community Advocacy Network–Sylvan Lake, Mich.
- Deaf REACH–Washington, D.C.
- Governor’s Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing–Baltimore, Md.
- Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf (HEARD)–Washington, D.C.
- Homeless Services Unit–Washington, D.C.
- Kids Peace–Washington, D.C.
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD)–Silver Spring, Md.
- National Council on Disability–Washington, D.C.
- Office of Human Rights–Denver, Colo.
- Public Defender Service–Washington, D.C.
- Safe Shores–Washington, D.C.
School Social Work Internships
Master of Social Work students in our school specialization benefit from diverse internship opportunities in the region. Broader, semester-long internships for the program’s advanced year internship include sites such as:
- Lexington School for the Deaf, New York
- Maryland School for the Deaf, Frederick
- American School for the Deaf, Connecticut
- California School for the Deaf, Fremont and Riverside
- Hawaii Center for the Deaf and Blind
- Tennessee School for the Deaf
- New Mexico School for the Deaf
- Illinois School for the Deaf
- Beau School for the Deaf, Cameron, South Africa
- Washington State School for the Deaf
- Delaware School for the Deaf
- The Learning Center, Massachusetts
- Pennsylvania School for the Deaf
Graduates have found excellent employment opportunities throughout the United States.